Immediate opening for Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics (STEM) Teacher to facilitate after school classes for high school students in Hartford, CT.
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Education and Youth Director, the STEM Program Teacher will work to support the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math growth of high school students in a variety of ways. The STEM Program Teacher will work with a group of 15-20 high school students to support the development of STEM skills, especially technology skills. The teacher's main responsibility will be engaging the students in project based STEM activities and regularly reporting on student progress to the Director. The STEM Program runs twice a week and includes 3 Saturday classes. Strong candidates will exhibit strong ability and interest in the math, science and technology fields as well as experience and eagerness when working with high school students.
Duties and Responsibilities
Engage students in fun project based lessons Accommodate students' learning needs by providing academic support as needed Manage and motivate a medium-sized classroom of high school students. Observe and track students' progress and attendance through class summaries, diagnostics, and regular reporting. Reinforce positive student behavior and rules; maintain a positive relationship with all students, families and staff. Prepare lesson materials and make copies as needed. Attend part-time orientation and Education and Youth Department meetings. Regularly communicate with Education and Youth Director to share progress, concerns, and needs.
- Bachelor's Degree in a related science, technology, engineering or math content area.
- At least one year's experience working with high school youth in an academic area.
- Comfort with different education techniques and openness to new developments in the field.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and to address the varying needs of the students in our program.
- Able to manage youth individually and in groups.
- Committed to a set schedule agreed upon by Education and Youth Director and Teacher
For more information and to apply please contact Kathy Reilly at Urban League of Greater Hartford by calling 860-527-0147 ext. 289 or email email@example.com